Also interesting is the history of Silang’s numerous barangays or barrios. Today, Silang has 64 barangays. Much is known about the town but only few facts about the various barrios under its jurisdiction. Here are some interesting data:
As previously mentioned, Silang took its name from a myth of “biglang tumubo” or “biglang sumilang” (suddenly born) which presumably took place in the area known today as Tubuan. However, based on the studies of Dr. Isagani Medina, this is actually the second area of establishment. It was believed that the first location of establishment was somewhere in the area of Maitim (or Lalaan today) which was called Silang Viejo during the old days. It was said that remains of the old town was still visible during the 1870s. After transferring from Maitim to Tubuan, the center was finally settled in its current location, near Rio Tibagan or Ilog Bayan as known today.
Some Barangay Facts
Kalubkob (Calubcob) is considered as the oldest barrio of Silang, settlement even pre-dated the arrival of the Franciscans. It was believed that early settlers built a network of roads and bridge leading to Indang (another barrio then, now a separate municipality).
Malabag, Balite and Dinglas, are the barrios mentioned in the 1601 documentary of Fr. Pedro Chirino, SJ.
Pooc was established sometime in 1805.
Puting Kahoy was founded in March 10, 1852.
Lumil became a barangay in 1880.
On the same year, on the eastern most side of Silang, Inchican was established but was called then as Banaba and an adjacent area as Sitio Bayabasan. It became “Inchican” when the landowner accepted Chinese men as workers (Instik / Inchic patois for Chinese, “inchican” place where there are Chinese). They eventually settled in the area where they sell produce in the nearby areas of Laguna.
Kaong was first established near sitio Embarcadero in 1882 near the river of Munting Ilog. Experiencing devastating floods, Kaong transferred to its current site. Passing-by Governor’s Drive before you leave the jurisdiction of Carmona, you will encounter a steel bridge known as Embarcadero bridge.
In the Estadistica Estado No. 6 Poblacion y Territorio. Pueblo de Silan written in 1884, the following were cited as barrios under the town’s jurisdiction: Poblacion, Carmen, Poteng Cahoy, Ulat, Malabag, Lalaan, Balite, Polong Bunga, Pooc, Balubad, Litlit, Mabatang, Sabutan, Caong, Maguyam, Monting Ilog, Yba, Biluso, Lungon, Lucsuhin, Calubcob.
Most of the names of the barrios and sitios have an environmental/ agricultural sense:
From trees, fruits and plants: Balite, Tibig, Narra, Puting Kahoy, Ipil, Acacia, Santol, Bayabasan, Pasong Langka, Kasuyan, Maynilaan, Banaba, Iba and Anahaw;
From terrain and bodies of water: Munting Ilog, Bucal, Ulat (corrupted “ilat” or creek), Biluso (corrupted “buslo” or fallen into a puddle of mud), Hukay.
Balubad is another term of Kasuy or cashew
Buho is another species of bamboo.